Remain in contact with your child
- In order to talk with your child about psychologically active substances you need to remain in a good contact with him/her.
- Talk with the child about all the questions that are important for him/her, the small and the big things in his/her life.
- Show your interest in what your child is doing, who are his/her friends, what are he/she doing in his/her free time and what time he/she gets home.
- Pay attention to every small change in his/her behavior.
- Find information about psychologically active substances. You can do that together with the child.
- Receive consultation about how to suggest that information to your child.
- When giving the information it is very important whether your child is experimenting, using or he/she is already addicted to psychologically active substances.
- Do not forget that blaming can restrain your contact with the child.
- If you have all the information needed, you can communicate with the child in a good way. Do visit the parents meetings on drugs questions organized by the child’s school or request such to be organized.
- Call the drugs info line if you have specific questions.
- Do visit professional web sites and forums about drugs. Not all the information on the internet is relevant.
- It is not necessary for you to be an expert on drugs but know enough to be able to answer you child’s questions.
Talk with your child about these topics
- You can freely talk with your child on a specific topic if you have trust in each other and can share about all kinds of things.
- Talking about drugs is easier if the information is given in child’s early years.
Is postponing important?
- Statistics shows that children nowadays are in contact with alcohol and drugs in earlier age than before.
- When a child gets used to with the psychologically active substances use in an early it is more probable for him/her to become an addict when growing older.
- Do not hesitate to forbid the use of alcohol of your child if he/she is age under 16. Postponing of consumption is very important.
Create order and principles
- Do not hesitate to set clear boundaries for your child (order and principles).
- Older children also feel the need of setting clear boundaries with them.
- Do your best to set achievable goals and explain well to the child why you are setting the following order and principles.
- Encourage the positive behavior of your child.
- Be critical towards your own behavior.
- Consult with other parents how do they cope with that situation.
Be present with your child when he/she makes a choice
- Encourage your child to be self-dependant.
- Encourage your child’s participation in activities that would help him/her to become more self-dependant.
- Stimulate your child to seek meaning in everything.
Be aware of yourself being a role model and an example for imitation
- It is not needed to be a total abstainer as a parent като but do not forget that your behavior influences on your child and his/her behavior.
- If you smoke tobacco or drink alcohol from time to time this does not mean that you are not good as a parent.
- Your child is in contact with other institutions and people that have influence on his/her upbringing.
Keep yourself informed what your child is doing at school
- Inform yourself how much time your child spends in his/her school.
- You can invite an institution working with drugs to give a lecture in your child’s school.
Inform yourself on what you can do if a problem occurs
- Know that keeping those guidelines helps you to decrease the risk of problems but is not solving them.
- Know that if your child is already addicted these guidelines are not useful for you.
- Look for help from a medical doctor or consult with a specialist from the drugs infoline (0888 991 866) where confidentiality is guaranteed.