Sedatives and tranquillizers
Sedatives and tranquillizers are intended to help with restlessness, anxiety and insomnia. They do not solve problems, they mask them. Sedatives and tranquillizers are prescribed by physicians. The most frequently substances today are referred to collectively as ‘benzodiazepines.’ Familiar trade names are: Diazepam, Lexotan, Transken, Rohipnol, Xanax, Dormikum, Neurotope etc.
- Addictive? Both psychologically and physically. Dependency can occur quite quickly and be quite strong, psychological dependency in particular.
- Increasingly more needed for the same effect? Yes.
- Short-term effects: Relaxation, grogginess, indifference, self-overestimation, reduced concentration, slowed reflexes (danger in traffic).
- Long-term effects: Weight gain, sluggishness, sometimes muscle weakness.
- Important: Combination with alcohol is dangerous.